HYNE

The Cycle series announcement & discussion

18 posts in this topic

I'm planning to host a series of 5 small tournaments (4-8 players), each one having a theme to it.

The tournaments will be strictly either 4 (round robin+tiebreakers) 8 (double elimination) players of the same region. The question here is how to do signups. Should it be an invite tournament, first come first serve or something else. Please give your input on this. If a consensus can't be reached I'll have to do first come first serve.

The other thing is themes. 4 themes need to be picked out. The fifth tournament will be 4 winners from the 4 tournaments and they will battle it out in either Official or DC Ranked (also up for discussion).

The themes are:

• Phantom Train only (Golbez banned - discussion)
  • Edge of Madness only
  • Low tier only (Terra, Cecil, Cloud of Darkness, Laguna, Bartz)
  • Off. Skill ruleset
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy (Geared)
  • Dissidia Final Fantasy (KAoS)

Do say which ones you like and would participate in, or perhaps suggest another theme.

The themes are hilarious. I'd vote for

• Low tier only (Terra, Cecil, Cloud of Darkness, Laguna, Bartz)
  • Phantom Train only (Golbez banned - Would also request a ban on Ultimecia)
  • Off Skill
  • DFF (Geared)

Main ones that interest me:

PT Only(Agree with djqubi that Ulti should be banned here as well however)

EoM Only

I don't see any reason to do signups any different than previous tournaments...just make a thread and let whoever wants to participate sign up, aka first come first serve. You're not likely to get more than full capacity anyways, too many ppl already quit.

ah and for 5th tournament, I vote for Official/Prishe banned. 

1 hour ago, Irae said:

ah and for 5th tournament, I vote for Official/Prishe banned.

Official for the 5th and final tournament would "kill the pointe of the joke". Yes, Official is the standard to go tournament rule. But I think the idea of this whole thing is to think outside the box, be creative and to have fun in a ridiculously hillarious setting.

The 5th Tournament should be No lock on allowed, all fights on Omega Sky Fortress Bahamut AND the match has to be a mirror match. All characters allowed, players have to agree on a character, if a character can't be agreed on, TO will randomly pick one. Do it.

Posted (edited)

I am most interested in Low Tiers only and Off.Skill themes.

Since you are thinking of a way to do signups, then it would be logic for the players to participate in only one of the first four tournaments since the goal of the last one is to pick four winners from the previous tournaments. So it implies that these four winners are all different players. For instance if someone participates in several tournaments and wins at least two of them then there can't be four winners who can compete for the fifth tournament.

However the issue would be the lack of participants if this logic is applied since it's region only. And there are not many EU players, few AS players as well, and so on. Only NA players might not have this issue.

Edited by JoyRaines

I vote for 

PT Only
Off.Skill

My only problem here would be the number of players participating from my region

JoyRaines has a valid point, however I don't think we have enough active players to do it that way even in NA. Minimum of 4 players per tourny x 4 tournies = total 16 players required if we do it like this...and we barely got 19 for a MAJOR including all regions after opening signups like a month or two in advance. So there is no point tbh..if players enter more than one of the 4 tournys, best bet is to hope we don't end up with the same person winning multiple - which tbh I don't think is that likely anyways, because of the very different jank rulesets suggested here; depends how far over the minumum of 4 signups we get per tourny though.

One more thing I forgot to mention on previous post - if PT only is chosen as one of them, I also advocate having all rounds FT3 instead of FT2, due to how short and highly momentum-based most matches are on that stage.

On 5/9/2017 at 1:50 AM, Cherub said:

Official for the 5th and final tournament would "kill the pointe of the joke". Yes, Official is the standard to go tournament rule. But I think the idea of this whole thing is to think outside the box, be creative and to have fun in a ridiculously hillarious setting.

The 5th Tournament should be No lock on allowed, all fights on Omega Sky Fortress Bahamut AND the match has to be a mirror match. All characters allowed, players have to agree on a character, if a character can't be agreed on, TO will randomly pick one. Do it.

The initial idea is for the whole thing is to not be overbearing as well, that's why I suggested a "normal" finisher, especially for the first run. If we had some clear favorite theme here, then that would be it (the 5th tournament) but as it's the first time I figured to keep it tame. The 5th might as well be up for vote between the four winners.

12 hours ago, JoyRaines said:

Since you are thinking of a way to do signups, then it would be logic for the players to participate in only one of the first four tournaments since the goal of the last one is to pick four winners from the previous tournaments. So it implies that these four winners are all different players. For instance if someone participates in several tournaments and wins at least two of them then there can't be four winners who can compete for the fifth tournament.

Good point.

12 hours ago, JoyRaines said:

However the issue would be the lack of participants if this logic is applied since it's region only. And there are not many EU players, few AS players as well, and so on. Only NA players might not have this issue.

7 hours ago, Haussenkraft said:

My only problem here would be the number of players participating from my region

If you get 3 other people from your region to express interest in a theme and are willing to commit to the event, that's enough.

6 minutes ago, Irae said:

One more thing I forgot to mention on previous post - if PT only is chosen as one of them, I also advocate having all rounds FT3 instead of FT2, due to how short and highly momentum-based most matches are on that stage.

Yup, best-of-5 is likely the minimum for Phantom Train and Edge of Madness. Others might depend on whether there's 4 or 8 players signed up.

Posted (edited)

Irae you are totally right about the weak number of participants in the last major and as you said the different themes are made so that it would be unlikely to have the same winner in several of these tournaments.

However even if I think there are not many active people around here, the community should be big enough to welcome more participants. Let us not forget that we managed to get 33 participants in Genesis (I know it is not that many but still), and we do not know how many more players we can gather because we are obviously more than that. There are some people who are just waiting for Arcade to come out, and others who do not play for other reasons, but maybe there will be more people who will show up if they are aware of this kind of event. Let us also not forget that seasons matter too since we are in the month of may. It means that students have probably finished their exams (there are not only students in our community, I am aware of this) and thus can have some free time (let us hope so).

HYNE I think your idea would interest many people in the community, so I think you should let everyone know about this in Discord today in order to have a quick feedback and have a general idea of the potential number of participants. The earlier it is done, the better.

As for the fifth tournament I would go for DC Ranked. It is always good to test something new and also... overdose of Official ruleset ExRage

Edited by JoyRaines

I'm down,tho I think Terra and bartz will rekt 😂

As it stands, EU gets Low Tier and Off. Skill. NA is slightly interested in EoM/PT and DFF. C'mon, more feedback on this. This isn't a signup thread where you can wait for the last day.

Off. Skill, Low Tiers and Phantom Train interest me. I'd personally vouch for Phantom Train with Emperor only and in AST-centric, it's a lovely mess.

Was "infinite" CP possible with some cheat? A tourney with that could be a nice change of pace as well. Even wilder idea could be tournament mode with teams of three characters... but that could get ugly with meter drain / Side by Side.

I also would be up for infinite CP tournament, though I doubt it would change hugely....