Sign in to follow this  
HYNE

Zoomin Games NT devs interview

Some burning questions clearly answered in this particular interview.

On... story mode:

Hazama-san: Yes, in the previous PSP version there was a story mode, but in this new PS4 version, we are not going to feature a story mode in itself.

However, there will be a story incorporated in the game.

Whether you play against the AI or with other players, you will accumulate points which will unlock cutscenes as you progress further, naturally, no matter what style you want to play the game.

On... esports:

Hazama-san: If the players would take it a way and make the esports element of this game a thing, we'd be honored by that, it'd be fantastic!

It's something we probably won't go for ourselves, but it would be great to see the players take the bull by the horns and really go forward with that.

So it'd be great seeing the esports becoming a thing somehow and finding its way in the world. Definitely.

On... personal character picks:

Hazama-san: If I had the chance, it'd be from Final Fantasy 6, Umaro.

I really like the way they use weapons  and I think it'd be so great to incorporate it in the battle system we have in the game.

Kujiraoka-san: I get asked that a lot in many interviews, so I try to pick a different character every time. So this time I would go for Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

He uses a gun, which is really cool and awesome, but I think it would look really cool if he changed into a creature and battle in that sense.

Additional information on NT esports, courtesy of JPGames.de and Google Translate:

JPGames: Director Kujiraoka-san, you said that Dissidia Final Fantasy NT might have success in the future in the eSports world. How does Square Enix make this title popular in the eSports community?

Takeo Kujiraoka: We are currently discussing with Sony the opportunity to use PlayStation 4 technologies for online modes. Regarding the eSports world: In order for the game to become an online hit, we have to create a real community feeling and draw the players' attention to the game. This is one of our long-term challenges. For the arcade version, we had two major tournaments within two years. We would like to bring this to a global level. We are really looking forward to it.

Yeah, I heard about no story mode, and hoped it was just a rumor.

But... it's true.

I think I may skip out on NT. I suck at fighting other players in every fighting game, and I *LIKE* story modes in fighting games. This is... highly disappointing. :/

Interesting to hear that me and Kujiraoka are on the same page with Vincent transforming mid-battle, even if it's not going to be as balls to the wall as my moveset design. 

I agree that having no dedicated story mode is kinda sad, but the idea that they'll be incorporating story into the multiplayer will be an interesting experiment. I'll be taking notes on how that ends up working out, as someone who eventually wants to make games.