Sign in to follow this  
HYNE

Character roster discussion and speculation

HYNE    26

So, we presumably have 20 new characters to look forward to, of which Ramza has already been announced. Who can we expect to join the fray?

I'm thinking a blue mage character (Quistis, Quina, Kimahri) has a high chance of getting in, because their skill sets are quite unique. There has to be one blue mage in the 20-character expansion of the roster, it only makes sense. As for characters themselves, I see Edgar, Shadow and Vincent as the best possible additions as far as utility goes. They would have really unique and fun skill sets. I mean, crossbow? Drill? How awesome would that be?! Shadow could combine close-quarter attacks and mid-range item throws while being agile. Vincent as the second gunner isn't the most innovative idea but he already had an action game of his own so there's a lot to draw for him from there. While Laguna was more strategic, Vincent could be an offensive gunner.

Those three are my suggestions as for the best contribution to the roster variety-wise. Characters whom I think are highly likely to be in (popular or storywise logical) are Edge, Faris, Celes, Cid, Vincent, Rinoa, Seifer, Vivi, Auron, Ashe, Caius.

Cornucopia    19

Vincent is very much innovative, because his skills wouldn't concentrate only on his pistols, but transformation as well (four of them - presuming the Ex- Mode would be Chaos.) Using the guns could be his brave atk, and transformations HP atk. It's a little tricky how the transformations would be animated, but it could probably be something similar to Paladin/Dark Knight transformations. Also, similar from AC, he could dash just as a cape. =D

And regarding the character selection, I think they must balance the number of Chaos - Cosmos characters, so majority of the new ones should be Chaos. Or at least something in-between (Beatrix, Seifer etc.)

EDIT: Assuming there is no Chaos or Cosmos in the logo, or mentioned, someone new will gather/summon the warriors in the story, so the selection could be just random. 

Edited by Cornucopia
  • Upvote 2

Cornucopia    19

Regarding other characters:

Blue Mage = yes, I'd like to see one of those. Objectively looking at the things, they surely won't pick Quina. It's because he/she cannot implement in the story with others so easily. Unfortunately. But it would be a laugh seeing Quina cooking someone as a finishing blow.

Maybe Kimahri, guardian of Yuna? I dunno.

Edgar is very versatile, and offers quite a number of skills, so he could be in.

So if Ramza is the new one, maybe they will go beyond the main series and include someone from...let's see...Cristal Chronicles, Type-0, Chocobo Series or the Spirits within? Not sure abut the last one though ^ ^;

• Upvote 2

HYNE    26

Vincent is very much innovative, because his skills wouldn't concentrate only on his pistols, but transformation as well (four of them - presuming the Ex- Mode would be Chaos.) Using the guns could be his brave atk, and transformations HP atk. It's a little tricky how the transformations would be animated, but it could probably be something similar to Paladin/Dark Knight transformations. Also, similar from AC, he could dash just as a cape. =D

And regarding the character selection, I think they must balance the number of Chaos - Cosmos characters, so majority of the new ones should be Chaos. Or at least something in-between (Beatrix, Seifer etc.)

EDIT: Assuming there is no Chaos or Cosmos in the logo, or mentioned, someone new will gather/summon the warriors in the story, so the selection could be just random. 

Wow, that Vincent idea is fantastic! He could transform on each HP attack, similar to how Cecil does between two forms, but in Vincent's case, it would be temporary just for the HP attack animation. That sounds really awesome! Unfortunately, I think Square Enix regards Vincent as too cool of a character nowadays to have him look like this, so I'm expecting his Chaos Weapon form to define him. Great idea though—we can hope!

I just watched the stream in which they covered the closed conference event and there was an image with Cosmos and Chaos warriors accompanied by the deities, so they might not be straight out of the game. Didn't understand what they were saying so I'm not sure what's it gonna be. It doesn't matter much though, there'll still be two sides, and the hero side will definitely have more characters. That's not to say the villain side will be poor, I'm sure there will be more than enough of those characters.

Regarding other characters:

Blue Mage = yes, I'd like to see one of those. Objectively looking at the things, they surely won't pick Quina. It's because he/she cannot implement in the story with others so easily. Unfortunately. But it would be a laugh seeing Quina cooking someone as a finishing blow.

Maybe Kimahri, guardian of Yuna? I dunno.

Edgar is very versatile, and offers quite a number of skills, so he could be in.

So if Ramza is the new one, maybe they will go beyond the main series and include someone from...let's see...Cristal Chronicles, Type-0, Chocobo Series or the Spirits within? Not sure abut the last one though ^ ^;

Kimahri could make sense both storywise (Yuna's guardian) and gameplay-wise (blue mage), but Auron's just too popular. Kimahri can't get in over Auron.

... Though, why not both? Add in Seymour and that's even enough balance between heroes and villains for FFX. Sounds alright.

As for outside of the mainline series, having Tactics in, I'd say Type-0 is guaranteed. New(-ish) game with gameplay very similar to Dissidia's... I think at least Ace is going to be there. Crystal Chronicles and other you mentioned I'm afraid aren't popular enough (TSW lol).

Cornucopia    19

True. Type-0 offers already finished moves and new gameplay style that makes the developers job easy cake.

No, not sure about Seymour. We have a summoner already. And considering that all characters can summon (we saw Lig. summoning Ifrit), he's not so interesting. 

What we know for sure is that they will go for:

- someone new

-with a new set of skills (job classes or style not seen/used in previous DFF-s)

-aside from the main branch

-adaptable to the story

-popular amongst fans (of course -_-)

• Upvote 2

HYNE    26

Yeah, I agree, Seymour wouldn't be interesting (to me at least). However, just because we already have a summoner, it doesn't mean we won't get another. Remember, there'll be fifty character in the game and some jobs will likely have several representatives.

Here are polls of Japan ranking favorite Final Fantasy characters: Male | Female

Those are probably good lists to pull speculation from.

Cornucopia    19

Wow, interesting how every single fem char on the list is a protagonist and the male is not much different. I have to admit that's kind of dull. Not sure what to expect anymore. I mean...Noel? 

Ok, but here's good news!

Minwu (FFII) will probably be implemented! Check the news here!

That is an interesting choice! I like it. He'd be a Wht mage, as I remember correctly?

• Upvote 1

HYNE    26

Minwu... I don't really care for that character but if they make him interesting, I wouldn't mind playing him. For the first Dissidia, being primarily a Final Fantasy VIII fan, I never imagined I'd main a character outside of that branch. Yet I ended up maining Cloud of Darkness for her playstyle. Gameplay trumps other things for me. Of course, I still played a variety of characters (including FFVIII) but I mostly leaned on those I felt most comfortable with, and I trust it will be the same for New Dissidia.

Thinking who I'd like to see personally, I'm not sure. Squall and Ultimecia are enough for my FFVIII quota. Rinoa I guess, although I doubt they'd make a serious enough story for her and Squall to be presented as they should be. Mechanically? Kiros, definitely. Agile and precise, very fitting for the game.

Outside of FFVIII; Edgar, Shadow and Vincent, for the reasons I mentioned above. And Fran! I completely forgot about her. A dedicated archer seems like a good fit. Not to mention she'd be a great model for screenshots.

Speaking of screenshotting (a hobby of mine), Beatrix and Fran seem like the best choices excluding the existing Dissidia lineup. I wanna say Shadow, but looking back at how difficult was to get decent shots of Cecil (dark knight), I can't say for certain.

Edited by HYNE

Cornucopia    19

Yes, I agree, Rinoa definitely would not suit the story, only if everything  would evolve around her. It could be done, but it would be very very risky. But again, as I said, in order for the story and things to turn out good, the focus of the story would have to be on her/them. 

And just thinking about her skills, she would be accompanied by Angelo, same would work for Shadow (with Interceptor) - it would be a refreshment to see something like that implemented.(Just rememberd Bartz's Boco - too bad they never thought of implementing him in some way =/)

Kiros=very nice! 

Fran=honestly, the game craves for more non-human folk. I can only hope. If they decide to put at least 2 non-humans, I'd be happy.

Cecil (as a Dark Knight) was hard to capture because of his armor. Shadow, although quite black covered, can always focus on his eyes, which is more than enough for making good screenshots. Same case was with Gilgamesh, I think. He was wrapped up, but it was managable to do some decent poses and screenshots of him. (and his pup! <3 ^_^)

• Upvote 1

Cornucopia    19

So relying on the two ranks you posted we can conclude the following:

1. All or most of new fem chars will be protagonists, but I'd say they will avoid important characters who can influence the story or others in a drastical way. (Rinoa, Aeris, Serah, Zack). So, Beatrix or Rikku are probably in. 

If I remember correctly, all of them are brainwashed when the gather at the beginning of Dissidia, but more-less, every character goes through a slight change, and plays a role (of themselves) from their FF. That's the reason why I think characters who turn the story upside-down won't be considered.

2. They'll focus mainly outside of main branch; and I'd say Ace is 100% in. Kurasame, Nimbus, Machina maybe. Somebody from TA, TA2 ( idk the characters, haven't played them yet.) Genesis? 

• Upvote 1

HYNE    26

Okay so, let's try and come up with a list of the most likely roster based on the poll results posted above. Feel free to use my list, update it with your preferences and explanations.

Old/current [30]:

1. Warrior of Light | Garland
  2. Firion | The Emperor
  3. Onion Knight | Cloud of Darkness
  4. Cecil, Kain | Golbez
  5. Bartz | Gilgamesh | Exdeath
  6. Terra | Kefka
  7. Cloud, Tifa | Sephiroth
  8. Squall, Laguna | Ultimecia
  9. Zidane | Kuja
  10. Tidus | Yuna | Jecht
  11. Shantotto | Prishe
  12. Vaan | Gabranth
  13. Lightning

New [20]:

1. /
  2. Minwu
  3. /
  4. Rydia
  5. Faris
  6. Celes
  7. Vincent, Aerith
  8. /
  9. Vivi
  10. Auron
  11. / | Eald'narche
  12. Ashe
  13. Noel | Caius
  14. ???? | Gaius Van Baelsar
  15. Noctis | ????
  16. FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: Ramza | Delita
  17. FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0: Ace | Machina

I'm not too happy with this list for a couple of reasons... First of all, the number of villains is on the lower side and coupled with the already lower ratio from the old roster, the ratio becomes even bigger in favor of heroes. Sure, it's fine to have it that way but I worry it could have an impact on the outlook of the entire cast. Like, looking at the potential artwork of heroes versus villains, the heroes would look a much larger bunch. Final Fantasy VII is the biggest offender here, I just don't see Rufus or the Turks getting in over Vincent and Aeris; who together with Cloud and Tifa would make an overwhelming representation of heroes from FFVII.

That's even assuming Tactics and Type-0 would get villains–because they could be putting Ramza and Ace as standalone representatives. Ramza I could understand, they might not want to drag his and Delita's deep and mature story into this fanservice game, but Type-0 is in a form extension of Dissidia's gameplay and any playable character fits here. Machina could fill the role as the antagonist for T0 (and switch sides towards the end), and mechanically he's also an easy include. Final Fantasy Type-0 is also one of the newer Final Fantasy games so I expect them to promote it with more than just one character.

I feel a lot of these are easy guesses, but they depend on some conditions. For example, FFXV–of course it'll get representation, the only question is when. If FFXV doesn't come out by the time PS4 DFF comes out, Noctis along with his adversary will come as DLC.

Another condition is the way of thinking. Do we fill the spots based on the balance between the two sides, the popularity, or both? Both seems like an obvious answer, but there's the corporate decision to keep in mind. Having popular characters attract more crowd could overcome balancing the ratio between protagonists and antagonists.

Likewise, is the old lineup really guaranteed? We don't know.

Furthermore, the announced 10 years of support for this game could also mean FFXVI (FF16) characters. I know, remembering FFvsXIII/FFXV development makes it sound unlikely, but even they know these production times aren't good for anyone.

For the sake of speculation it's fine to have a strict 50 character limit, but I wouldn't say it's absolute, in the long run at least. They've already decided to include that many characters, I'm confident they could go over that number if they see it beneficial.

Narolf    3

Much as I have enjoyed the discussion, I have nothing to contribute so I will just say instead I am happy this forum exists. Also, I lost my shit when I saw the announcement. Biggest trollish .gif ever, lmao...

• Upvote 1

Cornucopia    19

That list is a very good starting point for speculation. I'll enrich that list with another list.

I assembled it by importance of the characters in the (FF) story, keeping in mind the suitability of the skills to the new Dissidia game.

1. Bahamut (some kind of humanoid form similar to this, although he'll probably be introduced as a summon)
  2. Minwu, Leon
  3. Doga, Unei (they have another monster form DogaUnei | Xande, Hein
  4. FuSoYa | Cagnazzo, Scarmiglione, Barbariccia, Rubicante (either one of the four fiends or, even better, working together as a team, exchanging themselves similar to Type-0's swift character swapping. Or 2 of them can be activated in the EX mode. Although I think that would be most unlikely.)
  5. Faris, Galuf, Dorgann
  6. Setzer, Shadow (both were designed by Nomura, so they may have a higher chance of entering) | Emperor Gestahl
  7. Vincent, Cait Sith/Reeve | Jenova (I'd love to see her!), Hojo, [Genesis, Kadaj, Nero, Weiss from the compilation]
  8. Seifer, Adel
  9. Amarant, Vivi, Beatrix | Black Waltz, Necron
  10. Auron | Seymour, Yunalesca [Leblanc from the second part]
  11. Lilith 
  12. Ashe | Ba'Gamnan  
  13. Caius 
  14. Zulvan
  15. FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: Alma/Ultima
  16. FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0: Ace | Nimbus, Machina
  17. FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: De Nam | Black Knight, Raem

The saddest part in all this is, that the developers could do sooo many things, be very creative and innovative, but they won't. They'll be told to listen to the stupid "fans" who don't know anything. The proof is how they change and remove stuff from the concepts (just watching how they ruin Versus makes me wanna cry.) These "most popular characters" lists also... =( 

I'll think over this a little bit, and then assemble a prediction list.

Edited by Cornucopia

Cornucopia    19

Much as I have enjoyed the discussion, I have nothing to contribute so I will just say instead I am happy this forum exists. Also, I lost my shit when I saw the announcement. Biggest trollish .gif ever, lmao...

​Hehe, nice. Welcome to the community! ^ ^

• Upvote 1

Cornucopia    19

I'm not too happy with this list for a couple of reasons... First of all, the number of villains is on the lower side and coupled with the already lower ratio from the old roster, the ratio becomes even bigger in favor of heroes. Sure, it's fine to have it that way but I worry it could have an impact on the outlook of the entire cast. Like, looking at the potential artwork of heroes versus villains, the heroes would look a much larger bunch. Final Fantasy VII is the biggest offender here, I just don't see Rufus or the Turks getting in over Vincent and Aeris; who together with Cloud and Tifa would make an overwhelming representation of heroes from FFVII.

The number of villains is a disgrace.

Surely, if they are smart just a tiny bit, they will ballance it. Big IF!

Yes, FFVII will probably get a protagonist and an antagonist. Vincent very probably. If they put Zack, it will be hillarious. Might as well put him as another costume for Cloud than waste an additional model for him. 

Do we fill the spots based on the balance between the two sides, the popularity, or both? Both seems like an obvious answer, but there's the corporate decision to keep in mind. Having popular characters attract more crowd could overcome balancing the ratio between protagonists and antagonists.

I'd say firstly, by popularity, because that's just how they think right now. 

Secondly, by simplicity of the development. I doubt they'll make larger models or multi-transfoming characters, characters with complex gimmics, controlling summons or such.

Thirdly - balance between the two sides.

• Upvote 1

HYNE    26

Yes, FFVII will probably get a protagonist and an antagonist. Vincent very probably. If they put Zack, it will be hillarious. Might as well put him as another costume for Cloud than waste an additional model for him. 

​Actually, Zack is so popular that it wouldn't surprise me if he was in, despite Cloud having exact same gameplay. Their personalities differ so much though that Zack wouldn't make sense as just a skin for Cloud. Cloud's voice and vocal expressions alone don't fit Zack at all.

I thought a little bit, and I'm betting on Vincent, Ace, Beatrix, Ashe. For now.
@ Narolf - EX mode =D​ 

​Forgot Shadow. 

​Good bets, except Shadow. As much as I would like him to be a part of the lineup, I'm afraid he's not popular enough.

HYNE    26

Alright so we have a soft confirmation Noctis will be in:

Dengeki Online: Just throwing ideas out there, but what about including Noct[is] from Final Fantasy XV?

Kujiraoka:
Naturally that’s something we’re thinking about. I’d bet he’d use his Phantom Sword as well. [Laughs]

Hayashi:
Yeah, we’ve been thinking if we did include him how would we [re-]create his warp? [Laughs]

Hazama:
But that’s something to consider after FFXV has been released. Could you imagine if FFXV characters in the demo were next playable in the arcade [and not the final FFXV release]?... [Laughs]*

*[Translator’s note: Note the laughter and general non-commitment here. Nothing here should be taken to mean Noctis has been officially confirmed for inclusion down the line (although I think we can safely say he’ll appear sooner or later).]

Kujiraoka:
Yeah, and we still have to play [the finished*] FFXV for ourselves.

*[Translator’s note: Kurjiaoka doesn’t actually say whether he means the finished game or not. But I find it highly unlikely that he hasn’t touched an in-development version of FFXV at some point.]

There is a lot to take from this interview, its entirety has been linked to here. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time right now to dissect it all, but I will as soon as possible.

HYNE    26

Here's a "twist"; Gilgamesh from FFV scrapped in favor of FFType-0's. That incarnation is the most fleshed out one to date, he's got a really great story there and this way he'd get exposure that he very much deserves. I'd miss the humor and lightheartedness that FFV's Gilgamesh brings, but Type-0's is equally impressive, if not even more so.