Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HYNE

Gameplay and other/extra features discussion and speculation

9 posts in this topic

On the stream aired today they showed off some battles from which I found two things to be worth pointing out:

1) There can be multiple of the same characters in battle

I mean, thinking about it now, it makes sense because there would be clashes between people wanting to use the same character. Some people prefer to play with their favorite character and they won't settle for anything less so this feature had to be in. Still! 6 Sephiroths? 6 Shantottos? That's insane.

2) There's one summon per team and the summoning is a big deal

The animation and the presence of a summoned beast itself is epic. Not the FFXV-scale epic, but pretty big anyway.

6 Sephiroths? 6 Shantottos? That's insane.

​Not only that's insane, but not convenient and messy. That could open the door to many infinite combos, if they don't balance it right. 

Just think of billion Holy's striking from every corner. That wouldn't be fun.

I hope that gameplay will be very dynamic, and fast, action but also tactic based - opposite of where you strike the opponent and run to hide behind the rock or race to the nearest ex core to just wait for the end. Or something like that. =/

Having the arcade version run for at least a year before porting, a fighting game company working on it and a long time of support via balancing, there's no way infinites will maintain in this game.

I actually think multiple of the same characters will be fun. Sure, I won't like it always and will pick a different character to provide variety, but it won't be a strictly bad thing, especially if a character will be so well rounded that it will work well in multiples.

The gameplay does already look like what you want, there's a lot going on all the time, though it will make more sense when we get our hands on the game and learn everything.

So I checked the gameplay trailer again, and noticed a few things:

First I'm going to say that the on-screen information is just too much. So many images, bars, numbers, attack lines... everything is so disorganized and very messy. 

You can't see a projectile incoming if the center circle of the screen is clear only. And that's relative too, because character you are controlling stands in it. Also, the dumbest thing is the map. Not only that it's too big, but, why? Can you get lost on an open meadow? 
I understand that it can be useful to see how others move, but its completely unnecessary, and diverts your attention to the little dots. 

It's still work in progress, but there are crucial animation mistakes at the very beginning; dashing looks like riding a hoverboard and the capes are stiff flat boards when performing something in air. 

Dashing bar is implemented, and depletes while dashing. When walking, recharges after a second or two. In that way the distances between the characters can be controlled. It's a good thing I guess, but still, why put the bar on the center of the screen, it is easy visible on the side (similar to EX defense gauge). 

And there's another bar! Summon bar. I didn't catch how the summoning is performed, but looks like the player is taping the button to charge it? The summoned beast leaves the effect for some time.

I hope they'll minimize/remove some of the info from the screen. At least to put the option to disable them.

The intro song was pretty bad, that voice is horrid. To me.

And I know why they did it. All fighting games I remember had aggressive soundtracks/intros to boost the effect. Yeah, it worked with Tekken and DBZ, but just doesn't suit Final Fantasy. That melody is not implemented right. (Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned ^^)

Other thing that bothers me is the plastic look of the models. I saw other PS4 fighting games which are simpy....beautiful! It just seems like they took the old FMV models and didn't even try to make them look better.  

So I checked the gameplay trailer again, and noticed a few things:

First I'm going to say that the on-screen information is just too much. So many images, bars, numbers, attack lines... everything is so disorganized and very messy. 

You can't see a projectile incoming if the center circle of the screen is clear only. And that's relative too, because character you are controlling stands in it. Also, the dumbest thing is the map. Not only that it's too big, but, why? Can you get lost on an open meadow? 
I understand that it can be useful to see how others move, but its completely unnecessary, and diverts your attention to the little dots. 

It's still work in progress, but there are crucial animation mistakes at the very beginning; dashing looks like riding a hoverboard and the capes are stiff flat boards when performing something in air. 

Dashing bar is implemented, and depletes while dashing. When walking, recharges after a second or two. In that way the distances between the characters can be controlled. It's a good thing I guess, but still, why put the bar on the center of the screen, it is easy visible on the side (similar to EX defense gauge). 

And there's another bar! Summon bar. I didn't catch how the summoning is performed, but looks like the player is taping the button to charge it? The summoned beast leaves the effect for some time.

I hope they'll minimize/remove some of the info from the screen. At least to put the option to disable them.

​Hmm, yeah... The battle screen does look cluttered. In previous games it wasn't a big problem because you only had one target at a time, but here with 3v3, having a good vision of where your opponents are as well as what attack are they doing could be crucial to yourself playing optimally. Thankfully, they're doing location tests right now and the PS4 version is far off so things that need to be fixed, optimized and reinvented will be dealt with accordingly.

The dash gauge by my guess looks like a gameplay balancing feature which I suspect is coming from Team Ninja.

The intro song was pretty bad, that voice is horrid. To me.

And I know why they did it. All fighting games I remember had aggressive soundtracks/intros to boost the effect. Yeah, it worked with Tekken and DBZ, but just doesn't suit Final Fantasy. That melody is not implemented right. (Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned ^^)

Other thing that bothers me is the plastic look of the models. I saw other PS4 fighting games which are simpy....beautiful! It just seems like they took the old FMV models and didn't even try to make them look better.  

​Hey, the intro song ain't that bad. I do see (hear) what you mean by melody not implemented right, it does sound a bit off.

RE: the plastic look; as per the comparison between Arcade/PlayStation 4 version and in PS4's defense, the PS4 version looks at least a bit better.

​Hey, the intro song ain't that bad. I do see (hear) what you mean by melody not implemented right, it does sound a bit off.

​In the interview they mentioned, the Final Fantasy theme (probably Prelude) will be a strong pop melody!
I quote Kujiraoka who said: "It’s like an amusement park melody."
Honestly, I don't like the sound of that.
I am really sensitive when it comes to music, but choosing between a good gameplay and a quality soundtrack in this situation, I'd rather have the first. They even mentioned that the old soundtrack will be there, and an app for customization of your personal music background will be made, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
If I won't like it, I'll change it.

RE: the plastic look; as per the comparison between Arcade/PlayStation 4 version and in PS4's defense, the PS4 version looks at least a bit better.

​Yeah, slightly.
Oh, btw, has anyone noticed that Cloud looks exactly like Alec Baldwin? ^_^

Without a doubt battle editor is the most important feature for me and I worry about its exclusion to the point I want to contact them about it. They might make just straight-to-YouTube upload which would be such a shame...

Without a doubt battle editor is the most important feature for me and I worry about its exclusion to the point I want to contact them about it. They might make just straight-to-YouTube upload which would be such a shame...

​There's no reason why they'd do that. Battle editor is a must, especially now, when the chaos on the battlefield is increased.

Players will like to analyze frame-by-frame of some actions they did, and probably study the interactions of many skills involved. And the other thing is, if some abilities on the tournaments are be banned, there has to be a spectator mod, where everyone can judge if it was a fair fight or not.