JoyRaines

DDFF The Emperor Guide by JoyRaines

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, this guide is written by me even if some players (RDF, LXD92, Muggshotter) gave me some advices to improve my gameplay as an Emperor player (and I thank them for that). This guide will focus on PvP (Player vs Player) builds and only that. So as I proceed in my guideline I'll give you explanations about why I choose this build or another in particular. 

Let's get started for those who are interested in playing Mateus (The Emperor). Here is a summary of what I'll talk about :

•  Movesets
  •  Assists
  •  Set A : EX Depletion and SBS (Side By Side) build 
  •  Set B : Assist Depletion and EX build
  •  Set C : EX Core build (optional)
  •  Tips

I - Movesets

Basic Abilities (Actions) - Supposing that the first abilities that appear in this list are equipped I'll tell you which ones you should have :

• Reverse Air Dash
  • Free Air Dash (against another Emperor player to prevent him to fully cast Starfall or against Exdeath to prevent him to use Aerith's ground HP assist which is Planet Protector + Exdeath's Maelstrom) otherwise you can use Omni Air Dash or Reverse Air Dash
  • Omni Ground Dash +
  • Assist Gauge Up Dash (if you are using Free Air Dash)
  • Ground Evasion Boost
  • Midair Evasion Boost
  • Evasion Boost

Basic Abilities (Extra) - I'll only mention the most useful ones, the rest is up to you :

• Precision Evasion
  • Counterattack
  • Sneak Attack
  • EX Critical Boost (EX build only even if it's obvious)
  • EXP to Assist

II - Assists

- Yuna : She's the most useful assist for him in most cases because she can punish your enemies quickly and safely with a rare chance of being locked by your opponent. And on top of that she can't be locked by a LV2 assist change so you can still build your assist meter. She should be used in small stages such as Pandemonium - Top Floor for example because you have the time to place yourself and hit your opponent with Thunder Crest when he falls on the ground.

Be careful : only use her when your opponent is in midair, not on the ground. Otherwise it will result in the wrong move (Ifrit) which cannot punish him at all.

- Tidus : I think he's as quick as Yuna except that you should use him in larger stages such as Order Sanctuary for instance because Yuna Assist's air bravery attack will be too weak for the opponent to fall on the ground if he's close enough to the ceiling whereas Tidus Assist's air bravery attack will end up in a chase so you can perform a combo anyway.

- Aerith : In my opinion she should only be used against Exdeath to prevent being hit by his famous combo " PP + Maelstrom " but it's only a short-term solution against him because a good Exdeath player will build assist meter way faster than you so he can do this again without you having your full assist meter to counter it unless you manage somehow to not let him have the time to do it. Other than that you can also use her against other characters if you want to bait them using Aerith's Holy (midair HP assist) but you don't really need that to succeed.

- Jecht : If you are looking for extra bravery damage then this assist is for you. When your enemy is directly hit by Thunder Crest you can either land 2 Landmines before calling the assist and extend the combo by using another Thunder Crest ; or land 1 Landmine before calling your assist and throw 3 Landmines + another Thunder Crest if your opponent is beside a 2-corner wall or a 2-corner edge of a stage (see the video provided by Mericus below to have an idea).

- Sephiroth :  Sephy assist is also good for Emperor if you want damage, if you're getting air Flare hits -> floor-rush, you can throw in Mines during his ground assist and still get the chase; it's not as devastating as throwing 2-3x mines during Jecht, but he's harder to lock after a change = useful for someone like Emp who sux at protecting assist. Only thing is, comboing Flare off his ast chase is harder than with Tidus due to Flare's bad tracking; you have to be facing him before you initiate it else Flare will go totally wrong way - dash in or block before initiating the chase will solve this problem. (explanations & recommendation on Seph assist by Irae, an Emperor player)

III - Set A : EX Depletion and SBS (Side By Side) build

hEjwROu.png

Use the CP glitch to be able to equip Piggy's Stick (see this thread to know how to http://dissidia.community/topic/19-ddffguide-equip-anything-without-using-cp-like-bartz-labyrinth-bug/)

Seal of Lufenia set effect : EX Depletion +5%

This build is used against anyone who can build EX Force and grab EX Cores because as I use SBS on this build my opponent will get any EX Force and have a full EX bar quickly as a result so I better have a good EX Depletion to prevent any EX Mode(s) or EX Revenge(s).

The high bravery base is good to end matches quickier and the Bravery Orb with a sufficient amount of Boosters can negate the -80% Bravery Recovery from Piggy's Stick.

Besides Battle Hammer is a must for reducing one's assist meter and since you expect your opponent to get hit by traps you can continue to use them without being dodge punished by his assist. The more Boosters, the more depletion you get, and that works for any Basic accessory equipped.

Pros : 

• Decent Assist Depletion
  • Good EX Depletion
  • High BRV base
  • High BRV recovery (after a HP hit confirm)
  • Excellent Assist gain and duration with SBS and TAO

Cons :

• Low defence
  • Empty EX Gauge because of SBS

IV - Set B : Assist Depletion and EX build

kzyhuct.png

Use the CP glitch as mentioned above (III) for the appropriate equipment.

Judgement of Lufenia set effect : Assist Depletion +15%

This build is used against characters who generate low EX Force or/and who have a slow dash speed, this way I can grab EX Cores easily if I'm near them.

Mateus' Malice allows you to have EX Intake Range +3m meaning that you can collect EX Force in a 3m radius around your character and his exclusive weapon offers better raw stats.

Moreover, I prefer to keep Gluton (more EX Force gathered when being hit) and reasonable booster multipliers so I can still have a pretty decent EX Depletion while keeping a decent BRV damage thanks to the Earring accessory.

Pros :

• Good EX Force generated
  • Excellent Assist Depletion
  • Decent EX Depletion
  • High defence

Cons :

• Lower assist building
  • Lower assist gain

V - Set C : EX Core build (optional)

5X0pO5p.png

Use CP glitch as mentioned above (III) for the appropriate equipment.

Soul of Yamato set effect : LUK+3 / Regen+20% / HP to BRV (you gain BRV if your HP is full) / EX Core Appearance Boost  

I would say that this build should only be used against Exdeath players if ever you have to fight him because of blind picks in case you're playing against him in a tournament.

Even if this build does not drastically help you to beat any good Exdeath players it should nonetheless help you a bit for gaining more EX along with all dash boosts in order to collect EX Cores as the battle progresses. EX Breaker is here in case you can't allow yourself to grab EX Cores and Exdeath does because you want to be careful about his Aerith assist so if you succeed at hitting him then you have a chance to decrease his EX bar to 0.

The difficulty is that this matchup is basically an assist meter race. And as I've said previously, any good Exdeath players will always have an advantage at this.

To be honest I hope for any Emperor players (including me) to avoid this matchup at all cost, especially if you have to fight in a large stage. The only thing I can wish for you (if you think this matchup is likely to happen) is to pick the smallest possible stage and do everything you can to prevent PP + Mael (grab EX Cores if possible and be constantly close to Exdeath).

Note : if you have an idea of which character your opponent likes to use in tournaments I'd suggest you to avoid the following ranged-characters matchups : Exdeath, Kefka, Ultimecia, Kuja.

VI - Tips

- Flare (ground) is good at tracking down your opponent even if it's slow so you can put some distance between you and him and set traps unless a character has a HP attack that can reflect the blue Flare, meaning that you'll have to reflect it with Bombard (ground BRV) so use it with caution in that case.

- You always have to be right in or slightly under the Red Flare (midair) and have at least one Dreary Cell set in order to be as safe as possible in midair combat as well as ground combat (Thunder Crest + Red Flare + Dreary Cell) against any melee characters.

- Using Dreary Cell without paying attention to your opponent's assist bar can be bad for you : they can punish you with a quick assist (Tidus or Yuna) so make sure you'll not be punished while using it.

- Use Starfall as much as you can to build assist quickly by doing dodge cancels (basically perform a dodge right after Starfall, that way you can repeat the process right away). You can also try to hit your opponent with it if you ever have an opportunity to do so.

Very important detail when playing The Emperor : go to the option menu and set the Camera Angle Lock to : On (camera constantly has character in-frame). If you can't have a focus on your character it will be difficult to see your traps because the camera will only have a focus on your opponent, not you. And since battles are usually played in aerial you'll likely have a view where your opponent is above you and in that angle you can barely see your traps, which is more than problematic. Hence you must have a look at your traps and be surronded by them because if you're misplaced, then anyone can find an opening and exploit it.

This concludes my guide on The Emperor. I hope this helped you in your approach with him and don't forget : the purpose of this guide is first and foremost to gain knowledge and be familiar with the character. My builds are surely not the best ones, these are only recommandations for those who have not any idea on that matter. In other words you can adapt these builds to your liking depending on your playstyle.

Edited by JoyRaines

You forgot Jecht Assist for dat 6000 BRV Combo :u

Super old outdated Build 2011 vid that YT's quality update destroyed , but it's my only decent example since I stopped playing Empy after the constant rage quits and trash talk :

Spoiler

Some prefer Sephy Assist as well, but I use Jecht ( if the Stage has a floor, otherwise I go Kujie Assist ) just because of the damage potential which combined with a Combo in EX Mode is an insane amount of HP recovered. 

I'm not an expert on him.. ,
I only play him casually and rarely in fun MUs like Empy v Exd, but I do consider Jecht to be very good for him.

I'd say " ask Lucky for pro Empy tips  " ,
but hes FAR FAR gone from the scene so try finding some of his old posts on Emp.

Edited by Mericus

The massive damage you deal with Landmine thanks to Jecht + the wall factor is insane !

The only big disadvantage is that there will not be many occasions where you can trap your opponent beside a 2-corner wall or beside a 2-corner edge of a stage. I will nonetheless add him in the assist choice list for The Emperor for those who are interested in extended combos.

Unfortunately I cannot take a look at Lucky's posts since the forum seems to be sent to the void now. The only solution is to wait for his return (If he ever returns).

RIP DissidiaForums

Edited by JoyRaines
Missing one word

Some misc extras here:

Emp-Exdeath MU is 5-5 based off Lucky's previous testing; should still be able to find the old YT Videos of him vs Mericus,Seraph, and Dart. PP+Mael can be stopped using Bombard, just wait till the wind appears -> input it...Mericus has a vid on this one. The MU overall is, as nearly any MU involving Exd, campy, so defo go ex and grab cores all day...otherwise it's basically setup -> Exd will do GC mixups to stop your Starfall, if he goes through with it you can assist punish with Yuna. If Exd tries to Mael you in the air, you can stop it with pointblank Dreary Cell...or you can do Starfall and call Yuna at the last second. The MU is slightly more hassle on stages with too much vertical height for Yuna to floor rush though, as it's harder to combo Flare off Yuna in midair than to TC off the floor-rush..nothing new that Emp does better in small stages though, so eh.

Sephy assist is also good for Emperor if you want damage, if you're getting air Flare hits -> floor-rush, you can throw in Mines during his ground assist and still get the chase; it's not as devastating as throwing 2-3x mines during Jecht, but he's harder to lock after a change = useful for someone like Emp who sux at protecting assist. Only thing is, comboing Flare off his ast chase is harder than with Tidus due to Flare's bad tracking; you have to be facing him before you initiate it else Flare will go totally wrong way - dash in or block before initiating the chase will solve this problem.

Kuja is a bad MU for Emperor b/c he can spam Ultima, Seraphic Star, Snatch Blow etc all day, it's noteworthy that ground Flare will help vs him espec if in a small stage because he can't reflect it. If you must face him = can keep this in mind, also FAD -> block him.

Kefka-Emp is 7-3, your best bet here is FAD him all day, you usually can't punish him but can at least dash-reflect his WWFs if Kefka gets too careless, and ofc general weakness of Kefka=ast punish. Alternately, if in large stages and out of WWF range, can sometimes escape Trine during Starfall's movement, this will force Kefka to run FAD as well.

Ulti-Emp = Get away from this MU if AT ALL POSSIBLE lol. Charged Axe > Starfall. Only chance to even hit her is to go YOLO with FAD, but Empy's rushdown sux and Ulti can usually escape your shit with just the movement during her spells LOL. Your best bet is to pick a cramped stage and out-spam her, use Starfall to cover dodges if needed.

Dreary Cell is actually fairly difficult to ast punish due to autoast lockon + low cooldown, opp has to call you out on it. Flare, on the other hand, is VERY easy to assist punish, if opp is doing this you can use Dreary Cell first, then Flare next to it = DC's absorb will sometimes prevent it.

11 hours ago, JoyRaines said:

Unfortunately I cannot take a look at Lucky's posts since the forum seems to be sent to the void now. The only solution is to wait for his return (If he ever returns).

RIP DissidiaForums

Yeah... , 
I had just noticed that after this post too...

RIP

Anyhow, the Wall/Corner only allow even more Mines , but damage is still really good without.

it's TC Confirm > pause b4 Jecht to allow Emp to run the post TC Cooldown > Jecht > Mines x2 ( the opponent will still be in TC at this point ) > Mines > catch em with TC after Jecht's Ground WR > either Mines / hop > Red Flare / Dreary Cell.

Should be noted that a useful strat is to 2Bar Assist out of any TC > Blue Flare and have Empy hit himself with the immediately reflected Flare. Dreary Cell is the general Combo ender when Red Flare won't connect in time if they have 2 Bars for this reason.

There is a lot to discuss of, let me quote the most interesting analyzes you've made.

5 hours ago, Irae said:

just wait till the wind appears

That's one major detail I needed to be able to handle this MU, as long as I don't have serious lag which could eat my imputs while trying to nullify Maelstrom.

6 hours ago, Irae said:

Exd will do GC mixups to stop your Starfall, if he goes through with it you can assist punish with Yuna. If Exd tries to Mael you in the air, you can stop it with pointblank Dreary Cell...or you can do Starfall and call Yuna at the last second. The MU is slightly more hassle on stages with too much vertical height for Yuna to floor rush though, as it's harder to combo Flare off Yuna in midair than to TC off the floor-rush..nothing new that Emp does better in small stages though, so eh.

I could only have one Exdeath-Emperor match (in a tournament) and I had no idea on how to threaten Exdeath until now. I like the idea of stopping air Maelstrom with Dreary Cell, (we both know why) so I'll keep that in mind. For large stages I always use Tidus because I can punish everything if I know exactly when I can punish my opponent, he is a match for Yuna when I play on mid-large/large stages.

6 hours ago, Irae said:

Kefka-Emp is 7-3, your best bet here is FAD him all day, you usually can't punish him but can at least dash-reflect his WWFs if Kefka gets too careless, and ofc general weakness of Kefka=ast punish. Alternately, if in large stages and out of WWF range, can sometimes escape Trine during Starfall's movement, this will force Kefka to run FAD as well.

If the Kefka player equip FAD instead of RFAD, but I'll not take the risk of avoiding Trine during Starall's movement, instead I cancel Starfall and try to ast punish his Trine if I have an assist bar.

6 hours ago, Irae said:

Ulti-Emp = Get away from this MU if AT ALL POSSIBLE lol. Charged Axe > Starfall. Only chance to even hit her is to go YOLO with FAD, but Empy's rushdown sux and Ulti can usually escape your shit with just the movement during her spells LOL. Your best bet is to pick a cramped stage and out-spam her, use Starfall to cover dodges if needed.

I have my idea on how to raise my chances to beat Ultimecia as The Emperor. In tournaments I would for sure avoid that MU but I would gladly test this in casuals since I couldn't put it into practice just yet.

6 hours ago, Irae said:

Dreary Cell is actually fairly difficult to ast punish due to autoast lockon + low cooldown, opp has to call you out on it. Flare, on the other hand, is VERY easy to assist punish, if opp is doing this you can use Dreary Cell first, then Flare next to it = DC's absorb will sometimes prevent it.

Good idea, but in that case I should hope that my opponent misses his chance to punish my DC. Experienced players always succeed at assist punishing my Dreary Cells that's why I always must have the assist lead and be free to land any traps I want to set. Anyways the idea of using DC first following by Flare raise my chances of not getting punished, the hard part being that of to trick my opponent into thinking that I will use DC at "X" moment so either he may waste an assist by trying to read my moves or he may not guess what my next move will be and keep his assist for later.

Thank you for providing additional infomation on this guide, it's always interesting to see different approaches regarding gameplay.

Visual Example : 

Once again, old vid... sorry for the quality.

if the Exdeath is a PP+Mael user, you can just do this everytime by sight. thankfully Bombard is an easier Cancel.

I'd say 5.5 Exd Favor on Small Stages , 6-4 Exd Favor on Large, 8-2 Exdeath on bad flooring Stages.

if your having trouble identifying Grand Cross jukes, I suggest simply playing as Exdeath and learning when Grand Cross has been charging for too long and can no longer be Cancelled. it's rather long actually, so it's good to learn no matter who you play.

I guess I should post this too since we have to rebuild all the lost DF data x.x

Spoiler

Not the best example, but an example either way.

BRV+ on Dodge v Empy is lol
Yes. I use Hurricane in this MU.

Edited by Mericus

So Bombard is actually melee high instead of melee mid, that's why Lucky could stagger Exdeath's RP and make a combo with TC, nice !

P.S. : And very good fight in the second video =)

Edited by JoyRaines

Thanks ^^;
I'm always hating my old play lol, I was far too aggressive in the ones he uploaded and generally astonished he was Staggering me.

I'll try to upload some of my Emp vs Sellos if I get any good footage.