Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HYNE

Final Fantasy XV

44 posts in this topic

Final Fantasy 15 is kinda hard to talk about. In dev hell for so long, going through many visible (!) changes.

I was intrigued by it on the first sight.

Teleport action, Shakespeare quotes, tuxedos... The general seriousness was very appealing—a mature tone was heavily implied.

Then the platform switched and the setting along with the setup seemingly changed. Stella was no longer, Lunafreya took her place. From a girl with battle prowess to a necklace-holding frail woman. That was a very, very disappointing swap to witness. Etc. etc. more changes more concerns into, ultimately, zero care.

It came to a point I was bothered with everything Square Enix put out regarding this game. From interviews to events to footage. It was all too much and too lame.

Until very recently:

Previous to this video, I had actually started to gain slight interest in the game. The huge amount of content out there got under my skin and I was entertained by the idea of a new, big FF game. Mind you, I still thought poorly of the characters and the story until this very clip, which blew me away completely.

To think that the Noctis who was initially a cool person turned into a whiny brat would just be a part of the setup had me in shock. All the roadtripping stuff is not entirely (or even slightly) a focus as much as it's character development for the end-game, which should show a mature main character. I was delighted by this thought.

That's where I changed my opinion completely for the positive and was actually, legitimately hyped for Final Fantasy XV to the point I would go as far as to get it to play it on release.

Kingsglaive also helped; served as a prolonged intro to the game. It's a good movie past the 10th-minute mark.

New trailer, absolutely mindblowing. OMKefka

I don't think it was necessary but oh well. It raises far more questions than it answers, so be wary of potential spoilers before pressing play.

A little bit of my own opinion on this game. Long post, short tl;dr on the end of the post.

Pros-

The amount of apparent content. Mobhunts are something that I have really enjoyed in FFXII, a way to introduce the player to multiple super boss fights while handsomely rewarding them. It's good to see this being back as I think that something like this makes optional endgame a lot more fun. Then we got the additional Cooking/fishing/photos skills (and something else that I forgot) which adds quite a bit of cuteness into the characters and again optional gameplay that ends up rewarding you.

The music. As pretty much all FF's, the ost doesn't cease to amaze. The open field boss theme reminds me of Kingdom Hearts.

However, have more bad apples to pluck from this than good apples.

Cons-

The camera. From the demos I have played I have not seen a way to manually set the camera. I don't like how zoomed in it is. I don't like how half of the screen is covered by the back of MC. I also don't like how the MC is on the left/right of the center but almost never in the center of the view.

Movement and controlls. The movement feels clunky. The controlls feel clunky. I move left and after 2 seconds I actually make a turn to the left. Moving MC feels like driving a car in GTA. It feels slow. Not to mention the limited sprint you got which I think is horrible!!! (Unless I am mistaken and its unlimited, if so excuse me). It feels slow, it feels unreactive, it actually feels too real.

Colors, Clothing and Haircuts. Now this isn't as much of a con however it's one of the main things I see, one of the main things I see promoted and one of the main things that absolutely make me lose interest and hate this game. The edge lord that is Noctis. Why this isn't a real con? That's because you're given options in game to change clothes!!! That's fantastic and COULD be sad at the same time. What happened to color? What happened to Yellow? Whats with Green? All I see is black and white. All the characters, main and sub, have black/white clothing. The optional clothing shown is also white and black. Just what happened to colors? The only color we have seen is a red top on the blonde hottie. What if all optional clothing is plain White/Black? Probably isn't, I have hopes SE wont fuck this up. This is why it's not a total con. There is extremely high hopes that you are given options to change clothing and get rid of the edge lord gang by giving them cool clothes that are also colorful. The newest trailer "Omen", while Noctis ripped top is something I loved to see, made me realize how much edgier this game is than I first thought. I sure hope I can cut my hair ingame so I can get rid of Noctis bangs and make his eyes visible. They keep promoting this game on a very edgy level. Black hair, no emotions, black clothing, strong af etc. Something so edgy, it would surpass the edgyness of the son of Cloud and Squall if they were to make one WITH EACH OTHER. I feel like I'm in puberty again when I look at this omen trailer. It's done and through guys, edginess shouldn't be a thing anymore. People love to see original characters, not carbon copies of others.

-Extremely personal con

This is something on a very personal level and most won't probably even care(and most knew this is coming). But it's the promotion and focus on melee/physical gameplay. Swords, partisans, Greatswords, Rapiers, Shields all great and awesome. What else we got? Guns, probably bows or something, actual shuriken!!! Awesome. What magic we got. A ring that allows magic and ....items that are magic and have to be gathered? Basically a molotov cocktail??? Now, I have no clue how great the ring is but making general magic into items is something so ridiculous and pathetic I can not even. The ring is my only hope but at best it will probably only allow one crappy spell that costs a shit ton of MP. I fear I won't be able to focus on magic solely in this game. Which is very important to me. I love magic but I just can't get friendly with physical stuff. And physical stuff is promoted alot more. I can't really use summons, I can run out of magic, I don't get spell variety. It's just "shrug"

tl;dr Impressions left on me aren't that great. Cons outweight pros at this point.

I will get the game still, try it out, play it twice and review.

I hear you on camera and controls—while I haven't played the demo, I can imagine those two features being problematic. I trust SQEX will fix them as they should be sensitive and responsive to that kind of feedback by now.

As for character looks, which Noctis you like the best? Initially I preferred the glowing red-eyed, but the current grew on me eventually. I like that they flattened his hair, it was far too unrealistic for me, the previous one(s). Outfits we share the opinion for the most part, I too hope we get something interesting/casual. Like...

Capture.PNG

...this, except I'd like to lose that cap. ShaHAA

I recall you like magic, Cherub, so I get where you're coming from on your opinion. I personally would've preferred Noctis to stick to swords. As much as I would like for main characters to go away from swords, in this particular case it would've made most sense (for me) if he hadn't firearms and whatever else silly in his array of weapons. It just looks off, to be honest.

I have not been following all the changes tbh. I do like how he looks, no question. He's very attractive and flattening his hair was probably a really good decision. As you said, making it more realistic. At this point, on a visual standpoint, I'd love if beside the clothing system they would give us an option for different haircuts. (Which definitely isn't happening). I don't like so much hair on the face especially when it covers the eyes. It's more the presentation beside the super black black black default outfit that puts me off the most. Like I said, the edginess is REALLY driving me away.

Well I consider the magic to be purely of a gameplay aspect. In FFX it doesn't make much sense that Auron would have stronger magic than Lulu but if you decide so he can have it. It doesn't fit him, I agree but like I said, it's a FF and I expect a fleshed out magic system. Something I won't get this time.

PS: I actually adore him with the cappy on. KujaGasm

Ugh, why does this have to come out so close to Pokemon Sun and Moon? I only have so much time to waste on RPGs...

(I love it, though.)

I don't know how long ago Tabata mentioned it, but he said the Adamantoise superboss is going to take up to 15 hours to fight. Some people said he was joking, but he didn't confirm or deny anything, so... UGH I'M SO FRUSTRATED I JUST WANNA KNOW THE TRUTH ;-;

9 hours ago, DJVD said:

I don't know how long ago Tabata mentioned it, but he said the Adamantoise superboss is going to take up to 15 hours to fight. Some people said he was joking, but he didn't confirm or deny anything, so... UGH I'M SO FRUSTRATED I JUST WANNA KNOW THE TRUTH ;-;

I hope that's a joke. I'd never fight a boss that would be as long as 62.5% of an average Assassin's Creed II playthrough. For one thing, you'd have to waste an entire day to beat it in one sitting! >.>

11 hours ago, HYNE said:

I hate store exclusives.

I couldn't agree more. Gladly none of the DLCs seem like things I would absolutely want. Save for the golden chocobo, that is just true love.

Edited by Cherub

I have stopped supporting that stuff, and I am to fall back on that only for Dissidia—and even then I would try to be careful not to throw money away. Store exclusives is a disgusting practice.

There's a whole mini-game attached to this mess, A King's Tale. Few years back I might've gone for it, but no more. If it comes onto PSN as a separate purchase or is bundled in the (eventual) PC release, great, but otherwise—yeah, I'm gonna live with the fact such potentially significant content is in limited availability. Which is a real shame as well, because I'm fairly certain I will enjoy FFXV and would love to play the mini-game.

In the long run, it might not matter. It's just "pixels." But one day, one of these games might end up being your favorite game of all time. It might be the best experience you've ever had in gaming. And that one time, you might be split up over several purchases in order to have an absolutely complete experience. Or even worse, some of that content might be completely out of reach due to regional restrictions.

I'm just gonna wait for them to do a complete edition, where all the DLC are already on the game. I don't care how long I have to wait on that.

So it has been a rather LONG day for me. But at last I got FFXV in my hands and AT LAST ITS THE FULL GAME AND NOT JUST A DEMO. Time to play!

Okay so after just a few hours of gameplay I don't want to make a full review of the game yet.

HOWEVER, this I need to mention because I did not know about this. But while driving the car you can actually listen to the OST from previous FFs!!! With FF and FFVII being already unlocked and FFIV and FFVIII ost can be bought from the first store for a measly 100 gil!!! How awesome is this pls!!!

7 hours ago, Cherub said:

Okay so after just a few hours of gameplay I don't want to make a full review of the game yet.

HOWEVER, this I need to mention because I did not know about this. But while driving the car you can actually listen to the OST from previous FFs!!! With FF and FFVII being already unlocked and FFIV and FFVIII ost can be bought from the first store for a measly 100 gil!!! How awesome is this pls!!!

Are you able to turn off the music and play your own from the PS4/XB1 for that game?

No you can't. Moreover, it's select OST, not all. There is also a Dissidia and Dissidia Duodecim CD that has several arrangements and Dissidia exclusive OST. But no "Cosmos" Ost :(

Edited by Cherub

Laaaaaame.
So you can't play your own music, but do you have the option to adjust the music volume in the game completely? I like to record fights and add my music in while editing, so I'm just wondering.

9 hours ago, DJVD said:

Laaaaaame.
So you can't play your own music, but do you have the option to adjust the music volume in the game completely? I like to record fights and add my music in while editing, so I'm just wondering.

Yes you can adjust volume. There are sliders for Master volume, bgm, sfx and voices.

There is also a portable MP3 player that you can buy, allowing you to listen to OST outside of the car. However, chocobo music and battle music still happen. Moreover, anytime you leave the car, the music stops and you have to turn it on again. Just like real life :^)

Someone spoiled the game for me.
Now I don't want to play it anymore. >:(

I watched it on Twitch as mine is still on the way. I don't regret it, now I'll be able to play the game in peace and at a steady pace instead of rushing to the end to see what'll happen.

Depending on how much you got spoiled, let it sink and you should be fine. It's still a big world to explore and fully experience.

I was spoiled the ending.
I don't even have a PS4. I'll just watch the cutscenes on YT, despite what I know happens. :/

This might be spoiler because it's part of the game, but it's a sidequest boss, so I'll just post it anyway

Spoiler

DEMON WALL IS BACK, BABY!!!

(not my video)