Alright then, it has been exactly 68hours, 25 minutes AND 39 seconds of playtime that I used up on my first playthrough while trying to do as much optional stuff I could. I think it's ripe for a small review. No spoilers.

This game.....how do I put it.... It has received really well feedback I heard, it's generally considered a good game. Well, not for me.

Pros-

-The Story. It's intriguing, it's interesting, it's definitely not the nonplusultra story but it's good.

-Mood and atmosphere. Especially the atmosphere in the last dungeon, just fantastic. Those things I appreciate and I really loved the last chapter because of the extreme feeling of melancholy and nostalgy you get.

-NG+. It's basically reloading on your last savestand and being able to travel into older regions while keeping all your stuff.

-Music from older FFs and many other -smaller- things.

Cons-

-BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS. EVERYTIME THERE IS SOMETHING. WHINY LIL PUSS INDEED. Sound bugs to Animation bugs. Objectives not appearing and forcing you to reload. Your hud actually disappearing rendering you unable to act! All these happened to me.

-Sidequest and Hunts design. Good intention filled with ....too many bad intentions. These are MMO quests, sick jokes. I have spent alot of time on these because it takes so much time to get there and actually do the objective which is to find x in huge marked area. Hunts can be taken on one by one. Meaning you can't accept 2 hunts and kill them. No, you have to go from A to B to A to C to A to D etc. Also the amount of these sidequests is ridiculous. These quests are the core of FFXV. This is just a sick joke.

-Magic. It's a disgrace to every mage lover. Period.

-Story telling/narrative. Don't worry, no spoilers here. The story is good, the narrative is terrible. Alot of stuff happens off screen. Some stuff I was apparently supposed to know but didn't. Sometimes it felt like we skipped entire conversations.

-The feel of FF is completely lost. Feels more like dragon age. Kr the witcher.

since I am tired and writing this late at night, I'll stop for now here.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cherub said:

Cons-

-Story telling/narrative. Don't worry, no spoilers here. The story is good, the narrative is terrible. Alot of stuff happens off screen. Some stuff I was apparently supposed to know but didn't. Sometimes it felt like we skipped entire conversations.

I'll add to this. After watching all of the cutscenes and seeing all of the sidequests on YouTube, I can just say this.
The storytelling is very out of place.

Yes, we go from point A to point B, which is the point of the game. But at the same time, there's so much going on at the same time, and we usually don't find out what happened to others in the end.
Remember that bad old dude in the trailers that wanted the crystal, and how he was a central character in the movie? He HAD ONLY ONE SCENE IN THE ENTIRE GAME, and we never find out what happened to him after a certain thing happens near the end of the story.

Many other things happen in the game, and they don't really explain HOW or WHY they happen. Enix just said "okay, so this happened and you should just go with it."
And I get that there's a little explanation feature in the game, much like the XIII series, that explains the characters and events, and how and why they happen, but who the hell is going to spend more of their time reading that crap instead of playing the actual game itself!?

Before the game's release, Enix themselves stated that they tried to anticipate the story "as good as FF7", but after all that I've seen and experienced, it was nowhere near as good as Enix said. I'm not saying the story was the worst one out of all the FF games, but it just wasn't as good as Enix hyped it up to be.

It seems more like Enix was relying on us to get more of the story out of watching the trailers than the actual game itself... That's not a good thing.

10 years of making a Final Fantasy game, and the story was just a big flop. I'm sorry, but that's just how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I love the other aspects of the game. I love the way the battle system is. I love the sidequests. I love the leveling system. I don't give a shit about the graphics.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I have a problem with is the story. That's it.

Review part 2-

After a little good nights rest, let me add to my previous post.

Cons-

-Attires. There are 4 attires you get when starting the game. These attires also have different attributes. One of them raises attack. The other one prevents poison. Generally a somewhat nice Idea even though it strips you from wearing what you want if you want to be optimal. Why it's bad? Because it's always these 4 attires. Once you end the game you get 2 more attires with trashy effects. THIS was my only hope, I thought this was my ticket to avoid the Edgelord feeling. Alas it wasn't. No additional attires whatsoever. Here I thought we get a lot of stuff to wear, much like in FFXIII LR.

-The continent of Lucis. Consisting of leiden, duscae and cleigne. Such a big place, almost no cities. In fact, there is just 1 city you will visit there. Such a big place with only roads roads roads and even more roads. Meet the main character of FFXV, The Regalia. The worst? There isn't much change of scenery. Duscae takes up like 70% of Lucis and it's the same scenery all over the place.

-Fast travelling. Should be renamed to slow travelling. The loading times are ATROCIOUS. It's so bad that I would rather have the AI drive the car to my destination than pay(!!!) 10 gil for a loading screen that takes 3 minutes to load. Granted it's not much gil but paying for something that annoys the shit out of me rather than help me? No thanks. And you might think this isn't a big problem but believe me, this is an extreme con.

-Ascension. It feels like the ascension system had so much more potential. And then stuff costs 999 AP. Not just one thing but like a 8 things or so.... The upgrades themselves aren't really what I expected. The magic tree is completely stupid, I assumed it would help me keep using magic. It doesn't. I thought the stats tree would let me build on my stats instead of clicking it once and be done with it. If they would have provided a good AP income, this wouldn't have been so bad. But as it stands you have to kill about 6000 enemies with warp strikes. Kill them, attacking doesn't count. There are also some upgrades that just seem out of place. Gain exp on long car trips? Thats something I need to become the king of kings? Okay.

To add to DJVD

We actually do find out what happens to the lieninelshfobeh I forgot his name. The old niflheim emperor. But you only ever really understand it when you read all the documents scattered around the area but it's all optional. Why hide such crucial information. Alot of the information also comes from the radio. WHY??? It's so crucial, if I wouldn't have listened to the radio once in a while I would not have known what happened to a certain character.

Something personal along the lines tho

-On Noctis and Luna

I don't get how Luna and Noctis are in love. Like, I just don't. This is like watching an internet relationship. This is just not realistic to me that he would love her so much and go through so many lengths even though he only saw her like for a week or so when they were children. After that they barely had contact. He grew up and you wanna tell me, a boy, such as noctis, really didn't have any desires and wanted to be with another girl he happened to like more? REALLLLLLYYYYY?

-On Gladio

I really dislike the character they gave him. He is the typical Alpha male. I just really really dislike it. He's the epitome of the Alpha male clichees. Keeps blaming other, keeps yelling shit, thinks he is always right.

-On Ignis and Prompto

These two are love. Noctis isn't very likeable. Gladio is just disgusting. But these two are the opposite. Ignis uses his brain and explains things once in a while. Information is never bad. His instincts are also very sharp. Prompto, even though super annoying, isn't hateable. He's love.

-On the bestesten characters-

Aranea and Gentiana are the best characters-

-On Bahamut

His design is a complete shame and utterly and absolutely a disgrace to all prior Bahamuts. He's a cool dude but his design is fucking terrible.

-On the other summons

They are cool. Ifrit is hot :^)

Edited by Cherub

Spoiler

CysTWu1VEAE94cx.jpg

As I read this, one image immediately popped up in my mind.

HDAoCAr.jpg

This Noctis is not the Noctis we see in Final Fantasy XV. This is the Noctis that is firmly, deeply, genuinely attached to Stella (!). This is the Noctis I wanted to see and will grieve for.

CysTXlcVEAAiGLt.jpg

CysTYdmVQAAfKrU.jpg

Whether the claim is true or credible or not, it would explain things. I choose to give it some credence due to my personal impression of the game as well as the apparent state of Square Enix.

I've read the voice actor for that old crystal-greedy dude died during the making of FFXV. Maybe that's a reason they never added any more cutscenes with him.

13 hours ago, Cherub said:

-On Bahamut

His design is a complete shame and utterly and absolutely a disgrace to all prior Bahamuts. He's a cool dude but his design is fucking terrible.

I disagree. I like Bahamut's look in XV. Thought it was cool. Especially with his special move, that was just badass!

Spoiler

....Except none of his swords hit Ifrit at all. God dammit.

14 hours ago, Cherub said:

Hyne, you're probably the one person I know who looked the most for this. I want to know how you feel about the game, in detail.

I'm not sure I should write it up before playing through the game entirely despite having formed pretty strong opinion already. I could type it out now if you want to hear it as soon as possible.

9 hours ago, HYNE said:

I'm not sure I should write it up before playing through the game entirely despite having formed pretty strong opinion already. I could type it out now if you want to hear it as soon as possible.

My curiousity overcomes me, please do.

And one last complain about this game.

I saw the content that the DLC includes. Gladio episode (meh, probably doesn't include crucial information) however, Ignis and Prompto episode probably contain CRUCIAL information. Information that should have been given us from the main game because it probably is JUST THAT FUCKING AHSKQVHXVDJA IMPORTANT I CAN NOT EVEN WORD HOW ANGRY I AM AT THIS. The icing on the cake is that it also contains MULTIPLAYER. Yes, you have to buy a DLC to be able to play multiplayer. Outrageous. Now you have to buy the DLC AND PSN+ to be able to play with your friends. Remember when that used to be free of costs? Now it's in total 38€. I paid 70€ for FFXV. How ridiculous!!! This is a whole new level of ridiculous.

On 12/6/2016 at 11:26 AM, Cherub said:

And one last complain about this game.

I saw the content that the DLC includes. Gladio episode (meh, probably doesn't include crucial information) however, Ignis and Prompto episode probably contain CRUCIAL information. Information that should have been given us from the main game because it probably is JUST THAT FUCKING AHSKQVHXVDJA IMPORTANT I CAN NOT EVEN WORD HOW ANGRY I AM AT THIS. The icing on the cake is that it also contains MULTIPLAYER. Yes, you have to buy a DLC to be able to play multiplayer. Outrageous. Now you have to buy the DLC AND PSN+ to be able to play with your friends. Remember when that used to be free of costs? Now it's in total 38€. I paid 70€ for FFXV. How ridiculous!!! This is a whole new level of ridiculous.

It's like Asura's Wrath all over again.... Only it's Square Enix this time instead of Capcom. They should have just delayed the release date by another year to add in all of the shit they're making right now, instead of making paid DLC.

EDIT: Actually, a better comparison would be Final Fantasy XIII-2. So much DLC that should have been added in the main game.

Edited by DJVD

On 12/6/2016 at 8:26 PM, Cherub said:

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been both busy and sick, there was no energy in me to write about this.

In the meantime, I had received the game and started my own journey. Thus far, I agree with pretty much all of your points, the difference being preference (some things are more important, other are less—for me). I will reflect on this in detail when I finish the game. For now, let's go back to my initial impression of the game.

Spoiler

So, in the opening post I expressed newfound hype for the game due to enormous potential mature Noctis brought in. Well, sadly, that fell flat on multiple levels. Little dialogue, little explanation, little substance is the gist of World of Ruin in Final Fantasy XV. The jump from wakening into action is ridiculous, he didn't even hug his brothers, just a tap on the shoulder. Nothing, just "Let's finish this."

Now, I can dig a well written dark story (Front Mission 1), but when we wait as long as we did, the game should be an excellence in writing, especially if the ending was going to be like that. With such a weak plot, the entire game crumbles. When you change the writer for your game, you better make sure they write it better than the previous iteration, which I strongly feel was not the case for FFXV.

I agree with the fact that there's little information about the plot as a whole, even watching the movie isn't enough to have all the pieces of the puzzle assembled. The game in itself is great, nothing to complain about on that part. I hope that the DLCs they add throughout the months will somehow answer our questions in the future. I'm counting on them, no doubt.

And if DLCs are here I think it's probably because this project cost so much money that some of them are not free for this reason perhaps, but I know that other ones are free.

Take a look at this, it looks promising as far as content goes : http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/announcing-free-updates-final-fantasy-xv

Edited by JoyRaines
Additional information

On ‎26‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 3:03 AM, JoyRaines said:

I agree with the fact that there's little information about the plot as a whole, even watching the movie isn't enough to have all the pieces of the puzzle assembled.

This is something I shortly want to touch upon. The fact that the movie contains critical information, not the narrative of the game.

The purpose of a movie or a game is to stand on it's own. And as it is, FFXV fails at this. For people who have not watched the movie, this game becomes so MUCH more unfinished. And they should not have to watch a movie, to fully understand this game. That is one of the purposes when creating movies and games. Because there are people who don't want to look at the outsource just to understand what is going on or who someone is. This is a critical standpoint in any movie or game. That it is able to stand on its own. And without the movie or the anime.... Well you miss out alot and I can just say, another wrong decision made by SE.

There was a dubious source that said how much content was cut in the end. Upon hearing this, unsure if this source is official or just a poser, I got angry. This game is a skelleton and the flesh is missing.

EDIT: Credit where credit is due. It's a beautiful skelleton.

Edited by Cherub

Well I can't agree more to the fact that the game alone should have been enough to fill the holes if I may say. I would be curious to know what they had in mind by releasing parts of the story through the movie along with the anime. I find the idea nice (as I watched the movie at first, then played the game and watched the anime), but as you said not all people are willing to check the other sources or are aware of that so yeah you're right.

Just knowing that the game is still unfinished and that new contents release regularly make me happy because there is so much more to discover and to explore.

Possible spoiler, in case anyone hasn't gotten that far yet.

Spoiler

I hope one of the DLC episodes show Iris 10 years older. I know that likely isn't going to happen, but it would still be nice to see how she's matured. SHE WAS SO CUTE AND THEY DIDN'T SHOW HER AFTER THE STARSCOURGE. >:(

Same with Cindy, but I care more about Iris.

6 hours ago, DJVD said:

Possible spoiler, in case anyone hasn't gotten that far yet.

????

I hope one of the DLC episodes show Iris 10 years older. I know that likely isn't going to happen, but it would still be nice to see how she's matured. SHE WAS SO CUTE AND THEY DIDN'T SHOW HER AFTER THE STARSCOURGE. >:(

Same with Cindy, but I care more about Iris.

Apparently you could explore the whole area but it was cut content in the end.

Maybe after a few big patches this game will become worth more praise than disappointment.

Edited by Cherub

Seeing all these story criticisms and the rumored content that's been cut out, I would expect FFXV getting an expansion or even a sequel.