Cherub

Dissidia Arcade News

33 posts in this topic

Starting a thread to compile and post the most recent news about Dissidia Arcade.

Let me start with the most recent one

New Character!

Small note-

I will keep this post up to date with the latest Character video

Edited by Cherub

Here is Sephiroth's ability exhibition.  There is a rather large section at the end demonstrating Sephiroth's special Bravery dash-cancelling.

lol, that took long enough. Now if only it was on the ps3 and not JP-exclusive.

Also, Sephy with 012 Kain's gimmic? o__0

After watching the Sephiroth summon in World of Final Fantasy, I can't take him seriously anymore! LOL
In all seriousness though, it was only a matter of time that Seph be added. AND HE'S SO PRETTY IN NEW-GEN GRAPHICS OMG

He seems like he was designed very safely, as if Tecmo expects a lot of inexperienced players to play as him.  They're probably right.  And yet, they give him the game's second precise input... serving a function that other characters survive without, which means it's basically just for the people who are serious about maining him.

His plain Bravery attacks don't impress me very much, but mastering his dash cancels will likely be very rewarding.  I eagerly await to see what tech people come up with for him, as a character-specific lag cancel is just begging to be abused.

(I hope Black Materia is still one of his HP attacks...)

10 minutes ago, RougeMephilesClone said:

He seems like he was designed very safely, as if Tecmo expects a lot of inexperienced players to play as him.  They're probably right.  And yet, they give him the game's second precise input... serving a function that other characters survive without, which means it's basically just for the people who are serious about maining him.

Many characters are designed in a very simplistic way. All ranged characters have at least 1 attack that is the same because they deemed it needed for example. Vaans BRV moveset is incredibly simple and they took that route with Sephiroth too. They seem to "Balance" the character specific traits in exchange to originality in their attacks. Simple attacks but another "strong" gimmick.

One problem I see with Sephiroth at this point is, is that if all his attacks push back the enemy that far away as apparently almost every attack does in this game, he won't be much different to any other character because he'll only be able to follow up on wallrushes and everyone can do that in this game. He gets to rush you faster, that's for sure but comparing his character specific trait and the balance he recieved (in form of very simple attacks and even slow startups) to justify this character trait, don't seem to allign well.

Most players will easily execute his trait. It's pretty much the same as Kains gimmick in Duodecim, with probably a stricter timeframe for proper execution. Executing Jechts gimmick in Duodecim is alot harder than this. Timed button presses, nothing you will be struggling with once you invested a bit of time into him and get used to it.

You also seem to miss the most important part of all of this. Shadowflare sucks now. U guys, finally salvation!!!

Also, I keep forgetting that Sephiroth is such a heartbreaker. </3

New video of a stage has been edited into the OP.

Nothing too fancy imo. In the end I am just interested in flat neutral stages I guess.

New Character video. Kuja joins the roster. Video edited into OP.

This is the first time where I thought, damn this character could actually be broken. Kuja will get tweaked alot simply because of all the speed and range he has and the chances to wallrush. It's pretty crazy imo. Unsure what his ex skill does, I see some strange aura around Kuja but the aura also seems to appear on party members(buff?)

Kuja seems to enter Trance once he uses the ex skill. I assume it's a stackable buff that increases X-stat. The stat boost is only temporarily while the "trance stack" is constant. So if you have 3 trance stacks you actually enter trance and can keep it up with continued use of the ex skill. It also buffs party members apparently. (all assumptions)

Edited by Cherub

KujaGasm

His mobility capabilities are amazing, and the midrange style of combat looks very powerful. Not to mention the flashiness.

I was gonna say, having a story mode was pretty much a given when they introduced Spiritus and Materia.

I still think Materia needs a new dress. She looks like a rejected character from Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Edited by DJVD

It's nice to have it confirmed though I guess. I hope for some Dissidia exclusive stages with the upcoming story, that'd be cool.

And yes, I know it won't happen but I heavily hope for Orders sanctuary to still happen :(

Reading the article and I found something to be rather interesting. The devs hope for this game to become esports, which honestly would be a dream. I know I will invest alot of time in this game and try to play it on a highly competitive level. Can you imagine...."AMAZON VOUCHERSSPONSORS"????

However at the same time I have doubts of the overall balance and competitiveness of this game. Yea it's not out yet, yea I have not played it yet. But that doesn't mean I don't see what is going. I can imagine this game becoming something esports but I don't see it's longevity. I could imagine it surviving much longer with a 1vs1 mode than I see it surviving without one. But then again this 1vs1 mode would either need complete rebalances and alot of attention or it will have the balances from 3vs3 mode and be terrible. Yet I fear SE won't go through such lengths.

tldr; I don't think this game will make it big with just 3vs3. Maybe one year. If it's lucky maybe even two.

Edited by Cherub

I don't know, I don't think it being 3v3 will hurt its chances an esport. If you look at most of the big esports, they're all team based. People just need to not think of it as strictly a fighting game, because it's becoming something different. Kind of a MOBA/Fighter mix. I think it's a cool dynamic, and MOBAs definitely have more stream viewership than fighting games do currently. They can definitely make it work if they approach the game with esports/competitive balance in mind which they seem to be doing. I think the main thing they need to worry about is spectating the matches. If you're watching a tournament match, you miss a lot of the action if you are restricted to one point of view for the whole match. Watching the national tournament, I definitely would have liked it more if they switched between characters during matches but I could see how that could also get confusing. They'll have to find some way for spectating to still be engaging and enjoyable with the 3v3 setup, because viewership is a big piece of the esports puzzle and making a game last. 

11 hours ago, Jaghancement said:

I don't know, I don't think it being 3v3 will hurt its chances an esport. If you look at most of the big esports, they're all team based. People just need to not think of it as strictly a fighting game, because it's becoming something different. Kind of a MOBA/Fighter mix. I think it's a cool dynamic, and MOBAs definitely have more stream viewership than fighting games do currently. They can definitely make it work if they approach the game with esports/competitive balance in mind which they seem to be doing. I think the main thing they need to worry about is spectating the matches. If you're watching a tournament match, you miss a lot of the action if you are restricted to one point of view for the whole match. Watching the national tournament, I definitely would have liked it more if they switched between characters during matches but I could see how that could also get confusing. They'll have to find some way for spectating to still be engaging and enjoyable with the 3v3 setup, because viewership is a big piece of the esports puzzle and making a game last. 

I never said that 3vs3 would hurt the chances at esport. I said the lack of 1vs1 would.

I can't see this game as a MOBA tbh. Team games that seem to be the most popular are games like LoL or Starcraft and they differ VASTLY in gameplay and design from arcade.

This game resembles more ..... Urgh I forgot the name. Maybe something gundam? Where you fight in a team against other people. In mechas.... Anyway, that seems to be more in line with Arcade. I am also somewhat reminded of Super Smash bros when looking at arcade. The team mecha game didn't make it big. 1vs1 in super smash bros made it big. Team in super smash bros doesn't have much presence compared to solo either.

The lack of 1vs1 will severely hurt this games longevity in esports.

Edited by Cherub

On 2/9/2017 at 1:47 AM, Cherub said:

I never said that 3vs3 would hurt the chances at esport. I said the lack of 1vs1 would.

I can't see this game as a MOBA tbh. Team games that seem to be the most popular are games like LoL or Starcraft and they differ VASTLY in gameplay and design from arcade.

This game resembles more ..... Urgh I forgot the name. Maybe something gundam? Where you fight in a team against other people. In mechas.... Anyway, that seems to be more in line with Arcade. I am also somewhat reminded of Super Smash bros when looking at arcade. The team mecha game didn't make it big. 1vs1 in super smash bros made it big. Team in super smash bros doesn't have much presence compared to solo either.

The lack of 1vs1 will severely hurt this games longevity in esports.

The gundam game you're talking about has been reported as the number 1 game in arcades in japan. It's not an e sport because the developers behind the game aren't pushing for that. nor do they really feel the need to. 

If square is pushing this, and since a few of us have watched that one big national tournament they had with a surprising invitational turnout of great players, I'm pretty sure they are going to be pushing it as 3v3. I highly disagree with your claim that lack of 1v1 will hurt the games longevity as an e-sport; Perhaps it will hurt the games longevity with casual players, but i also don't see that as likely since there are plenty of players of arcade who are currently still playing even though they are bronze and don't win enough to rank up lol

20 hours ago, geefo said:

Snip

I stand by my point still. I do think this game would make it bigger with a 1vs1 rather than without one. Be it simply to attract a wider audience with the additional mode.

But in the end, the future holds our answers. I'll be happy if you turn out to be right since I just simply wish for this game to be a blast.

20 hours ago, Aegis Runestone said:

Side question: Anyone know if they might add Rydia to Arcade?

The possibility is always there. It's safer to assume that the characters from the previous game will make it in first. While we did get new characters, those were from titles that had no representative whatsoever. The possibility that she'll make it in -early- still stands. I just think it's not likely that we'll see her any time soon. But seeing how popular Rydia is, I don't doubt that she'll be included as a character in the future.

Edited by Cherub

Just saying but I called it. DJVD did too. :v 

Other than that, H O T S H I T. damn he looks so good. 

Oh, you're right. Have your upvotes.